Arthritis or arthrosis? Combat joint diseases
Over time, your body ages: your bones, joints, and muscles are noticing the wear and tear. Although not everything is due to the ageing of the body. The fact that certain areas are forced intensely or by other external causes, such as changes in weather, makes our body start to suffer and begin to notice pain.
Two of the rheumatic and degenerative diseases that produce pain are arthritis and arthrosis. Although they are often confused, they are diseases of different origin. Let's see the difference!
Arthrosis is a disease that affects the cartilage, a kind of cushion, between the bones of the hands, knees, hips, etc. to prevent them from rubbing. Over time, this cushion disappears, causing friction, pain and little flexibility.
Arthritis, on the other hand, would include different diseases: lupus, gout, etc. It affects the synovial membrane, inflaming it and producing fluid. This natural lubricant, which would have to be reabsorbed, spreads throughout the joint causing wear and tear on the bone and cartilage.
Preventing arthrosis and arthritis
Both diseases affect our daily mobility more or less severely. Here are some tips to prevent, delay or alleviate them:
- Avoid obesity: control your diet and do regular exercise to avoid being overweight. In case you suffer from it, lose the kilos of more properly. Both the Mediterranean and the Japanese diet are good options.
- Muscle toning: it is advisable to strengthen the muscles that surround the joints. In this way, you reduce the risk of wear and tear on the joints and possible injuries.
- Diet and exercise: even if you are not obese, stay active with regular, non-coercive exercise while enjoying a balanced diet. Aerobic exercise such as walking, swimming, biking or running is beneficial.
- Posture: for all work, movement or position, maintain an adequate and correct posture.
- Reduction of tobacco and alcohol: both tobacco and alcohol consumption cause, among other consequences, osteoporosis. They weaken the bones, which is why avoiding both habits helps to prevent arthritis and arthrosis.
- Local heat: if you suffer from arthrosis, it is good to apply local heat in the form of baths or electric blankets.