Burnout: the job-related stress syndrome
Every day you feel less efficient at work, you can't concentrate, you're reluctant and prefer to avoid your boss, you get frustrated because you don't reach your goals, tasks that you used to do easily become a mountain, etc.
All these signs have a common indicator: stress. Like everything in life, there are many types of stress, but this one is caused in the work environment. When you're under constant pressure, you've got an excessive workload, your training is limited and you don't have the autonomy, the Burnout Syndrome can be developed.
Burnout usually leads to a very high state of physical, mental, and emotional exhaustion, as well as a degradation of self-esteem, lack of energy, loss of interest in what you do, addictive disorders, and finally a deep depression.
What can you do to improve the situation?
- The first step is to stop and think. Accept the stressful situation you're facing and accept that you can't carry out the work or tasks assigned.
- Identify the reasons for the stress so you can start thinking about a solution for each one.
- Organize your tasks from the most to the least priority, distribute them, establish limits on your workload, and take the necessary breaks to disconnect and back with a fresh mind.
- Create a positive work environment by establishing good relationships, helping and collaborating with your teammates and your boss.
- Take care of yourself both physically and mentally. Regular exercise and a healthy diet are key to a strong, energetic, and efficient body throughout the day.
- Separate your personal and professional life. You should find a balance between them, disconnecting and dedicating the necessary time to each one.
- Respect yourself and learn to identify the positive and negative points. Improving the most negative and reinforcing the most positive ones will help to avoid self-esteem degradation.
- Finally, discover your passions, interests, and abilities. If you find that you're in a place where you're not valued, where you can't develop all your knowledge or you're not passionate about it, maybe it's time to step out of your comfort zone and risk looking for your goal.
The silent deterioration is found in other syndromes like the one of the boiled frog, do you remember? You can find it here.
All these syndromes have many similarities and if we don't fix them as soon as possible, they can become very serious. Therefore, in case you're living a similar situation and don't know how to fix it alone, we recommend getting help from a professional.