How to improve your sex life after 65
One of the myths of aging is that a satisfying and enjoyable sex life after 60 is impossible. Some studies have confirmed that no matter what your gender, you can enjoy sex for as long as you wish. Of course, having sex after 65 may not be like it is at 20, but in some ways it can be better. In addition to pleasure, maintaining a healthy sex life is beneficial for other aspects of life, including physical health and self-esteem.
According to a National Survey of Health and Sexuality, the most common sexual practices among people over 65 are kisses, caresses and vaginal penetration. In contrast, masturbation and oral sex are less practiced. Physical deterioration and cardiovascular diseases, as well as hypertension or diabetes, usually also cause a significant decrease in the erection capacity, as well as libido.
Here are some tips to overcome difficulties so you can enjoy an active sex life:
- Play: The game component is essential at any age when practicing sex. You can discuss new ideas and try new things with your partner. There are a large number of products and specialized stores where you can find the most suitable products according to your needs.
- Lubricate and moisturize: Another characteristic is that women, after menopause, experience a drop in estrogen production that causes greater vaginal dryness. Also, as the woman ages, the walls of her vagina become thinner and stiffer. Try using a lubricant during sexual activity, and if this isn’t sufficient, you can also use moisturizer (opt for water-based and fragrance-free products).
- Communicate with your partner: It is important to talk freely about sex with your partner. Find time and a neutral place and talk about a goal of making sex enjoyable for both of you. A lack of desire is often related to relationship issues.
- Be honest with your partner: honesty can relax both partner and can be very attractive. Let your partner know how you are feeling and what you hope for in a sex life.
- Take time: Before intimacy, make time for your partner and relax for example by having a warm bath together or trying massages. Or try connecting first by extensive touching or kissing.
- Discover: it is advisable to explore your own body at any age, know your erogenous points to have mutually enjoyable sex.
Don't give up on your own sexual health just because things are different. Talk to your partner and explore what you're both comfortable with.