The importance of the pelvic floor and how to strengthen it
We always repeat the same thing over and over again, taking care of yourself is what you have to do every day, from the time you wake up until you go to sleep. Follow a healthy life with good food, daily exercise, love yourself, in short: Mens Sana in Corpore Sano. But we are forgetting something extremely important and which is part of us, our sexual health.
What do we mean by sexual health?
Sex or anything related to it has always been a taboo subject or an aspect that many people prefer not to talk about out of embarrassment. But, contrary to all beliefs, it is a very important part of us that we also must take care of. Sexual health is not only about having sex but also about having correct and proper information about it, as well as taking care of our reproductive system, both inside and outside.
In this article, we will focus on one of the most important parts of the female reproductive system: the pelvic floor.
What is the pelvic floor?
The pelvic floor is a collection of muscles and ligaments in the lower abdomen. Its function is to support the pelvic organs well so that the sphincters can work properly. The problem comes when it begins to weaken for various reasons, causing:
- Urinary and faecal incontinence
- Sexual problems
- Genital prolapse
Fortunately, pelvic floor muscle tone can be exercised and restored to its proper state with various types of exercises or devices. The best-known exercises for recovery are Kegel exercises and yoga.
- Exercise 1: the slow one. During 5 seconds you contract the muscles while you are breathing softly. Then you relax for another 5 seconds. Repeat this sequence 10 times.
- Exercise 2: the fast one. You do the same exercise as above but as fast as you can, without a break and for 2 or 3 minutes. This sequence can be started by repeating it 10 times and increasing it up to 50 times.
- Exercise 3: the lift. In this exercise, you contract your muscles slowly for a while, as if you were in a lift and had to stop at different floors.
- Exercise 4: the wave. It consists of creating a wave, first by contracting and relaxing the muscles, starting with those of the urethra, then those of the vagina and, finally, those of the anal area.
In addition to yoga and these exercises that you can do in a quiet place and time, to help you strengthen the pelvic floor there are some manual or automatic devices known as Chinese balls or vibrating eggs.
These types of devices are indeed more related to erotic toys, but they do not only have this purpose. They are very easy to use and, if you do not have time to exercise, they are perfect for your pelvic floor. You simply have to insert them into your vagina and move around so that these devices work independently: you can go for a walk, run, go shopping, etc. The Chinese balls have to be inside for about 30 minutes, while the vibrating egg (usually with a remote control to regulate the intensity), 10 minutes a day is enough.
Have you tried these exercises or do you prefer to use the devices? Tell us your opinion in the comments!